Monday, August 2, 2010

Skinny Bitch


You've seen this book right? "Skinny Bitch.  A no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous! By Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin"

I've seen it a dozen times and finally broke down and bought it to read on my flight home (Zune was dead; don't go think I got all soft and would chose reading over music).  I have to give this a big thumbs down, a massive thumbs down.  Anything in the book that I thought might be good information (facts about artifical sweetners and fruits and breads) is all tainted by one sentence:
"Its a sad fact that in this country, most doctors know almost nothing about nutrition." (Page 60, Skinny Bitch, Freedman & Barnouin). 

Your telling me your a "self-taught know-it-all" and my doctor is stupid?   Wow.  Bold.  We're done here.  But just in case you were wondering what it was about, I'll recap quickly and save you the suffering. 

You think it's going to be good and I was really getting into the read.  Toss around the F word, call me a fat B, and tell me how to straighted out.  Awesome!  Would love you too! 
Smoking is bad - agreed. 
Soda is the devil - agreed (don't want to give it up, but agreed). 
Stop eating crap - agreed. 
Artifical sweetners and persevatives are perserving the fat on my ass - agreed.
Go vegan - ag... wait... what? 

Milk is poison? Really, you may not like it, but they say it's actually bad for us.  (This is the section where my quote above comes in.) 
Our bodies can't digest meat?  They have issues with animal rights, and I get it, but we have eaten meat since forever, I'm pretty sure our bodies can digest it.

Most of the book is spent trying to guilt or gross you into being a vegan with them.  But when you have to tell me to eat soy made to look like a chicken breast, and after 30 days I'll be happy enough, that's not really the life style I want to bite into.  I mean, it might taste okay, but why shape it like a chicken - that's just weird.  If I need to give up meat, don't rub it in my face by making faux meat.  And of course their skinny - I walked our Market Street today stocked with Organic and healthy foods and finding Vegan is still hard.  They want more to join them, because then the stores will start stock more vegan options.  It's a great tactic, and I applaud their efforts for their lifestyle.  I even took some of the advise and bought some of the recommended items to use in place of others I would normally eat. 

But next time name the book Skinny Judgemental Bitch - at least let me know what I'm in for ahead of time.

God didn't give us all this great food for us to not eat it, we already screwed that one up.

3 comments:

  1. Omg best quote from this blog award goes to...

    Its a tie:

    "I mean, it might taste okay, but why shape it like a chicken - that's just weird."

    "But next time name the book Skinny Judgemental Bitch - at least let me know what I'm in for ahead of time."

    Hahhahhahah, I freaking love you Melissa. I was literally laughing out loud reading this post. Love it (and you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the pedi told me to give my baby 12-16 ounces of poison a day. I guess I should consult the skinny b before I follow doctors orders! Too many morons in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree. some very good one liners in there

    ReplyDelete