Monday, August 16, 2010

Recovery


If you don't know, I love rap music and alternative.  I can stomach most pop music, tolerate rock, and would rather be in silence than country.  But rarely do I love an entire album.  It's happened twice in recent history though - Jay Z Blueprint 3 was incredible.  and now I can't stop listening to the Recovery album.  Eminem has me locked.

The first time through, I just enjoyed the beats and I love his voice.
The 2nd time I heard the words as if he was singing about someone else.
The 3rd time I realized he was talking to me, personally.  And I cried.
The 4th time I listened as part of something larger than me, and I had shivers multiple times.

"You can try read my lyrics off this paper before I lay them, but you wont take the sting out of them before I say them." - Not Afraid
And he's right.  They sting.  The album is brilliant.  The story weaved over the entire album is incredible.  There is no way for me recap or review the album in justice, you really need to download and take a listen (or several).

"I feel like I'm morphing"- Seduction
 Yes he is, he have reached the next level.  Story telling isn't new to rap, but this is beautiful.

Don't have time for the full story? Not Afraid and Love the Way you Lie are all over the radio.  Other good stand alones: No Love (love the throwback to Night at Roxbury), 25 to Life and Talkin' 2 Myself.

Have you listened to it?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment