Sunday, March 7, 2010

Kitchen Table & Chairs

Have I ever mentioned how much I love clean lines and dark wood? I’ve pictured the kitchen table & chairs Brian and I have made by Bassett furniture, and I heart them! But I’ll start at the beginning.

After months of debate, Brian and I finally agreed to retire our old kitchen table and move to a new one. We loved that table. I paid $60 for it at a garage sale including 4 chairs. It was the perfect college table top -- no water rings, no worry about trivets or hot pots, everything just wiped clean with a wet wipe. But the chairs died long ago and the table was ready…

So off we go looking for a new table and I was not expecting how costly these things are! We finally found a set at Haverty's we both liked and it was $999 for the table and 4 chairs. But it was counter high, and it would only fit 4 people. We gave away our dining room set, so this is our only table for now, and we often have more than 4 people, and we wouldn't have any other chairs that high. I had found a set in the Crate & Barrel spring catalog, but they didn't have it in the store and I don't want to buy unless I can see. We finally broke down and went to Bassett.

We love Bassett. We love Jesse at the Bassett on Midway & 635. He’s helped us put our house together and has been very excited about the new house. He is a great sales rep for sure, but beyond that he actually knows us and our style. When stuff hits the clearance center (that location also does all the warehouse clearance) and he knows we would like it -- he calls us first and will hold it till we can get there. We have gotten our bedroom suite, both living room sets and a few other pieces and we love the quality of Bassett. We knew we would find a table, just wasn't sure we wanted to spend that much. But after coming in significantly under budget on the fridge, we splurged on the table and chairs. One of the great things about Bassett is almost everything is custom built to your preferences. So we did clean lines, square with leaf, dark brown stain. When we were picking, Jesse remembered 2 chairs in the clearance center and saved us $300 because they were exactly what we were ordering.

30 days or it's free! We got seating for 8 - so dinner parties can start up as soon as we move in!

1 comment:

  1. Melissa...we are going through the same thing with kitchen table...who knew how much they were! I am still searching..well I haven't searched that hard...but still on the look out!

    ReplyDelete